The Divine Plan of the Ages
Chapter 15 Questions
1. What is the day of Jehovah, and what
other names are scripturally applied to this same period of time and why?
2. What has been the message of the true church to the world during the
Gospel Age and what is God's message to the church and, then, to the world,
during this same period of time? Why hasn't the message been received
and what are the natural consequences of rejecting God's counsel?
3. What has always been the attitude of the depraved mind with respect
to the rights of others? And how did this change from original godlikeness
to selfishness come about?
4. What are the advantages of wealth and in whose hands has the wealth
been concentrated in the past ages? How is the general increase of knowledge
changing these conditions?
5. What trend continues to grow between the wealthy and laboring classes?
When considering Old Testament prophecies, do we expect to find symbolic
and antitypical, as well as literal, fulfillments concerning Egypt, Babylon
6. How does the Apostle James (James 5:1-4) describe this great time of
trouble? What exhortation is given to the brethren? (James 5:7-8) Are
there any present indications of the nearness of this Day of Jehovah?
7. What was Israel's day of wrath a shadow of? What do we learn from Zephaniah's
prophecy? -- Zephaniah 1:7-9, 14-18
8. In what manner will the earth be devoured by fire? How do we know that
this is symbolic and not literal fire? What do the symbols earth, mountains,
heavens, seas, fire and brimstone represent in scriptural usage?
9. Explain St. Peter's prophecy concerning the day of wrath. What other
office did the Apostles (Peter, Paul, John, etc.) exercise? How has the
Lord used this gift to guide and edify the church?
10. How does the prophet Malachi describe the Day of Vengeance? Will some
be pulled out of the consuming fire? (Jude 23) What effect will this symbolic
fire have upon the Lord's people? -- Malachi 3:1-3; 1 Cor. 3:12-15; 1
11. In what other way is the great time of trouble described by St. Paul?
-- Heb. 12:26-29
12. What symbols does the psalmist use to give a vivid description of
the great day of the Lord? -- Psalm 50:3; 97:2-6; 46:1-6; 110:2-6; 46:6-10
13. How does the Revelator prove that the day of the Lord will be destructive
to every form of evil (yet not a time of literal burning of the earth)?
(Rev. 11:17, 18; 19:15, 19) How does Joel 2:9-16 and Isa. 13:1-11 describe
the same event under similar figures and why are so many various symbols
used to depict the day of wrath?
14. Who are the two rival parties? What is the present situation and future
outlook as viewed by the opposing parties? Why is it difficult, under
present conditions, for both parties to see alike? How do the wealthy
naturally feel, compared to the laboring classes?
15. What is the ultimate result of many real blessings unless restrained
by wise and equitable laws? What conditions have delayed this injurious
result? What is the two-fold effect of labor saving agricultural equipment?
What similar results have been wrought in other departments of labor?
16. What is the peculiar situation related to over-production vs. lack
of employment? What remedies are being urged by wage workers and what
argument is being used by labor against the "watering" of railroad
and other stocks?
17. What is the declared object of labor unions? What happy results might
be obtained if the golden rule could be put into practice by both parties?
And why is it impossible under present conditions?
18. What is the natural cause of the Day of Vengeance and what will be
its climax? What will be the ultimate effect of this time of trouble on
the minds of people? How will it prepare their hearts to receive the Kingdom
19. What would be the attitude of all who realize the state of things
which shall shortly come to pass? What figures of speech are used in the
Scriptures to describe the manner of approach of the Day of Vengeance?
-- Zeph. 2:2; 1 Thess. 5:2, 3
20. What attempted remedies will be tried by society's physicians in the
time of her travail and what will be the results? What will be the effect
of the efforts of the masses for deliverance from the grasp of capital?
21. How does Israel's deliverance and the plagues upon Egypt illustrate
the coming emancipation of the world at the hand of the Anti-typical Moses?
22. What is the relation of the day of the Lord to the plan of the ages?
How would an earlier development of labor saving machinery have resulted?
23. What unanswerable argument proves that this is God's "due time"
for introducing a new order of things? Why is the lifting of the veil
of superstition and ignorance most opportune now?
24. How will the position of the saints differ from that of all others
during the great time of trouble? What is the first duty of the saints
toward the world at this time? How can they let their "light shine"
to the best advantage?
25. Why should the saints take no part in the present struggle for wealth?
What makes the saints content in the midst of the most unfavorable surroundings?
26. Why are some of the Lord's people
discontented at present? What exhortation by St. Paul is most appropriate
for the saints at this time?
27. By what example and counsel may the church be most helpful to the
world at present? In what way may the saints best fulfill their mission
as ambassadors of peace?
28. With which of the opposing classes should the Lord's people sympathize?
And in general, what attitude should they take regarding this Battle of
the Day of God Almighty?